Buccs Put Knights to Sword

Saturday 20th May saw the Key & Eagle-sponsored Buccaneers travel to Hull to take on the Knights in our second Summer Classic game.

After letting the Knights back into the game late in the opening fixture at Blackburn, the Buccaneers were keen to set the tone from the off and it took only 17 seconds for Matt Dixon to win the puck in his own zone and beat everyone in front of him before roofing the puck in the top of the goal. The Buccs kept the pressure on in the same shift and after gaining the offensive zone quickly, Burns found Walsh open in the slot and he made it 2-0 after just 48 seconds.

Just prior to the 6 minute mark, Dan Frewin picked up a loose puck at centre ice and powered away on a breakaway making no mistake to make it 3-0. Then with just 11 seconds left in the period, Alex Frewin laid it off to Dixon in the slot who grabbed his second of the game.

The second period started somewhat slower and it was the Knights who would get the next goal from Webster. The Buccs weren’t in the mood to let Hull back into it for the second game running though and on 33 minutes, Walsh scored his second of the game in what was a carbon copy of his first, this time O’Boyle with the assist.

Shortly after, Paul Burns picked up the puck in the neutral zone and the ice opened up in front of him. He crossed the blue and fired past Miller in the Hull goal to make it 6-1. There would be time for one more goal in the second period it was arguably the Buccs best of the game. Beesley received the puck on the point and as he stepped in, it looked to everyone that he would shoot however he laid a pass to Alex Frewin down low who fired it quickly back out to his brother Dan in the slot and he bagged his second of the game.

The final period saw 3 Buccs complete hat-tricks in the game. First it was Walsh who pounced on a loose puck and fired a one-timer home. Next up it was the turn of Dan Frewin. With the Buccs camped in the Knights zone despite being shorthanded, Alex Frewin moved the puck to Dan Frewin. Paddy Thomson took the attention of two Knights which allowed Dan Frewin a clear path to goal and he wrapped up the treble. The next goal saw Paddy Thomson pick the pocket of Knights defenceman and despite going in close to the goal, fired the puck high sending Miller’s bottle into Hull Marina. The last action of the game was Matt Dixon wrapping up a well-deserved hat-trick with a trademark coast-to-coast skate before a tidy finish.

Final score Knights 1-11 Buccaneers.

The full match can be viewed at the following link: https://fb.watch/kOOzwOi2xd/

Thanks to Hull for providing a great stream of the game.

There is no time to rest for the Buccs as we return to action on Sunday 28th May away at Halton Huskies.